our story

Josh and I met via a mutual friend during the summer of 2005. We were both dating other people at the time, but hit it off as friends. The relationships we were in fizzled and as our friendship grew, we realized there was something more between us.

Josh proposed in March of '06 and needless to say, I said 'Yes.' To this day it's the best decision I've ever made. We were married 4 months later in the Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork, Utah.

We found out shortly after we were married that we were pregnant. It was quite the surprise. After almost 20 weeks of pregnancy we lost our little girl, Addalyn Leise, to complications. We were devastated. We wanted to add a 'little' to our family, so we kept trying. After almost a year and two more miscarriages, we were devastated and confused. We had gone through numerous tests, blood draws, doctors, the works. They couldn't find anything wrong. Then, in November of '07, after an MRI scan a tumor was found in the middle of my brain. It was on my pituitary gland, which is super important when it comes to hormones and subsequently, getting pregnant, and threatening my brain and my optic nerves.

It had to come out, and fast.

I had brain surgery in February of '08. Josh was there by my side every step of the way. After significant time in the ICU and recovery I was sent home. It was a glorious day, & I have fully recovered, but now we know that we will not be able to have our own biological children.

Josh once told me of an experience he had while in seminary in high school. During a lesson he said he had the distinct impression that he would adopt to become a father. He dismissed it, as he was only 16 at the time, but now as he looks back he realized that this was Heavenly Father giving him a 'heads up' about how we would begin our family.

I have seen the miracle of adoption impact the lives of others and my life as well. With my own adoption story my Dad remarried when I was 3 years old and my step mom adopted me when I was 8 years old. She has been the most amazing mother to me, and I couldn't imagine life without her as my Mom. I'm grateful to my birth mom for allowing me to have the life I lead today.

We are excited about adoption and adding a sweet 'little' to our family. We've wanted nothing more than to be parents, and we are looking forward to the miracle of adoption to add to our family.

No comments: