our letter to you


Our Dear Friends,

First off, thank you for taking time to read this letter. Thank you for considering adoption. It is because of your brave decision that we have hope and the opportunity to become parents to a sweet little one. We recognize the sacrifice you are making for your unborn child. We are filled with so much emotion for you. We pray that you will be blessed with guidance, inspiration and peace as you make these decisions. There truly can’t be a harder choice to make than the one you are faced with. We know of the love you have for your child and we hope that we may be the family you are looking for. Thank you for being so brave and so full of courage.

We were married on July 29, 2006. Talk of children has always been communicated, but our journey was not meant to be short, easy, or traditional. We want nothing more than to give a child a safe, secure home. It’s been a dream of ours to be parents, and while our path to parenthood isn’t necessarily going as we thought, we couldn’t be more excited about adoption. We have seen it bless our life with the gift of Harley, and we are hoping to be blessed again.

Hi there, this is Josh and I'm going to take over for a moment to tell you more about myself.  I come from a family of six children and two very loving parents.  I'm the fourth and have three brothers and two sisters.  I have always enjoyed being with my family. First and foremost I love being a dad.  Harley has brought such happiness to my life.  Even though there is always so much going on, Harley always brings me to my center.  At the end of every day, after he has put on his jammies, brushed his teeth, and said prayers, we read as a family.  It is such a calming way to wrap up the day.  Right now we are reading Peter Pan and I love seeing Harley get into the book.  He loves hearing about Captain Hook!  Currently I am attending Northeast Ohio Medical University and am in my second year of their Pharmacy program.  I chose this career path for a few reasons.  First, it's a good career to provide for my family and I'll get to work comfortable hours so I have time to spend at home.  Second, I'll get to help others improve their lives through the research and development of new medications.  While I work hard, I love to let loose and play. I am a very active person and love sports, with football & basketball topping the list.  The best part of all this is that I get to share it with Harley. I love being with Harley man.  Every day, when I get home from school, he asks to go outside and play.  We play soccer, we golf and let our two dogs fetch the golf balls, we race, ride bikes, ride the longboard, anything and everything. Lately I have been trying to teach him how to throw a football and he’s getting pretty good!  I truly love to live life and get all I can from each day.


Enough about me, let me tell you about my wife, Kenna.  She is a wonderful person to be around. One of my favorite attributes about her is her sense of humor. There isn’t a sharper witted lady out there.  She is a very generous person and is very aware of other people. She often takes time to write thoughtful notes to friends, family, and even people we've never met. She’ll offer them words of encouragement and let them know that she is their friend.  Kenna always makes time to be the friend that everyone wishes they had. Kenna also has a special gift with infants. She’ll never admit to it but she can get pretty much any baby to be calm and at ease. This gift holds true with Harley.  When Kenna holds him close and sings to him, he calms right down, his breathing evens, and soon enough he is snoozing. Kenna loves to read and is extremely talented when it comes to writing. When she writes it’s so articulate and graceful. She also loves music and loves to sing (her voice is amazing). Her first love is Harley, her second is the beach.  (I believe I am her third love!) Her love for the beach has worn on me and now I love making memories with her and her family.  We took Harley to the beach the summer after his placement and never have we had such a great time there Kenna has a deep love for her son, and that deep and fierce love will be granted to the next little one who comes into our lives.  How lucky this little one will be.

This is Kenna, and I want to shed a little more light on who I am.  My family has four kids and two awesome parents.  I am the eldest, followed by two sisters and one brother.  I am lucky to have an adoptive mother who has changed my life in more ways that I could ever express.  My dad is my biological dad, and married my adoptive mom when I was three.  When I was 8 I was legally adopted and was sealed to them in the Salt Lake Temple.  It is one of my most vivid and cherished memories.  One of the highlights of my life is when we took Harley to the temple on June 29th to be sealed to us.  This day is so special because it is the same day I was sealed to my family.  There wasn’t a dry eye that day.  I am so grateful for adoption and for the gifts it has given me.    My family is very close and love spending time together.  Our favorite pastime is our yearly vacation to the beach.  My love for the beach and ocean was instilled in me at a young age.  Right now I study psychology and social work at Kent State University.  When I’m not reading textbooks or playing a game of hide and seek with Harley, I’m reading, writing, or out with my camera.  I own a photography business and I love it!  Always awesome when you can follow your passion.  Harley is my favorite model and puts up with his snap happy mama.  I always try to take time each day to refocus myself and remember all the good, because there is SO much good. 

Now Josh is, truly, one of the most amazing individuals I’ve come across in my lifetime.  He offers such a calm presence to my life and to our home.  Josh has a sense of humor that compliments my own, so we are always playing off each other.  It sounds cliché, but we mean it when we say we love to laugh, and we do it often.  Josh is a kind and caring man.  Stuck in a parking lot with a dead battery?  He’ll stop to give you a jump.  Need help moving, or maybe a lift?  Josh will oblige.  He is innately selfless.  All these qualities and more are what make Josh the most amazing father.  There are moments every day where I watch Josh and Harley where tears well up in my eyes.  Josh was meant to be a father, and it shows with the way he is with our little Harley man.  From the moment Josh saw Harley, he has loved him deeply and everything Josh does is to make our lives better.  As Josh has studied through Pharmacy School, I have seen a whole new side of him.  I didn’t know he could be more focused on a goal but in two years’ time he will have his degree and will be Dr. Josh.  Harley couldn’t have a better dad, and I couldn’t have a better husband.

Harley is the happiest five year old on the planet. He has the clearest blue eyes, and red hair to match his determination and zest for life. He is constantly making us laugh and has been such a special gift to our family.  Harley was placed with us when he was 14 months old, which isn’t the norm, but we know it happened that way for a reason.  Harley’s current obsessions are monster trucks, his doggies, cars, any type of outdoor sport, doing yard work with his tools, and fixing everything in sight, broken or not.  We have an amazing open adoption with Harley’s birth parents.  We post to a special blog, send photos, and skype often with them.  When we lived in Utah, we visited at least once a month.  We have loved having them in our lives, and know it’s important for Harley to know he is loved by us and his birth parents and their families.   

We know that Harley is a sacred gift and his birth parents entrusted him to us. He doesn’t need Kenna’s grey eyes. He doesn’t need Josh’s dusty blonde hair. He is an eternal part of our family, and our hearts are ready to bring another little one into our family.

We have spent many years making our home beautiful and comfortable.  This is not only in aesthetic appeal, but also with a calm spirit.  There is nothing that means more to us than each other, and we work daily on treating one another with respect and love.  We have grown as a couple through our struggles and know that we are better prepared for the blessing of parenthood.  We love each other fiercely and that will, indeed, be the same case for the little one who joins our family.

We believe there is a plan for each of us, tailored individually to what we need to become more of the person Heavenly Father needs us to be.  We believe ownership is not a prerequisite for love. Our plan is to search for the child that belongs in our family, yours is to find that family for your own little one.  We know that through faith and hope these decisions can be made through the spirit, and can enrich our lives more than we understand in this moment.  

We look forward to getting to know you and continuing our relationship through letters, pictures, and visits. We feel the utmost respect for you and for what you are going through. You have our love and prayers.

Stay strong and take care.

Josh, Kenna, & Harley

No comments: